Friday, July 4, 2014

Life for Real

I'd love to start using this blog as an outlet for my daily life...my zoo family that I care for day in and day out written down in 'posts'. I'm often asked "HOW on EARTH do you do it all?? 4 kids and you paint?! I'm in awe!" to which I often reply, "I don't really do it that well. It's all an illusion". True right? (the funny part is that the people who really know me know that I'm NO SUPERWOMAN!) I'm leery of anyone who claims to HAVE IT ALL...aren't you? The reality is that no one can have it all. Something ALWAYS suffers....always. The days that I'm prepping for a show and work for 12 hours straight are brutal. The paintings look so pretty hanging at the show but here's what got me there... I wake up, get my absolutely essential cup of coffee, say hi to the people in the house that are 'awake' and then make my way up to the studio. My husband then assumes the role of caretaker for the entire day (a role that he's happy to fill but let's not kid ourselves, he's no momma). After several breaks for meals, brain re-cooping, etc I find my way back down late at night to find a disaster...I'm talking like, 'FEMA needs to come hand out assistance to the survivors' kind of mess. It looks like a bomb went off and therefore, I spend the next 3 days fixing it all. The truth is although painting is oh so rewarding for me it's a tug of war....and I mean WAR. I think it's like that for all moms. And although what I just described is an extreme case, it's still difficult to find balance. Being a wife and mom are definitely priority and I think the more my business grows the more I'm having to take a step back and examine those priorities. Having an amazingly supportive husband doesn't hurt but it's still difficult. There's definitely an internal struggle. Don't get me wrong, I'm incredibly thankful that I am able to work from home AND be with my family! I know that not everyone has the same luxury. And I know the problems listed above are not really 'problems', however, it's something I feel the need to talk about. Soooo, next time you see someone who seems to be able to do it all just think....I bet their house is a disaster! See y'all soon! Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment