Monday, April 9, 2012

"5 Minutes Here, 5 Minutes There"

One of the things about doing what I do is the benefit of being able to work at home. I work in my den...by necessity. Not just because we have 4 kids and every room is taken by a little person (which means that I have no studio space as a result) but because I have to BE here. I have to KNOW everything that is happening in this house at all times. Little hands can make a HUGE mess in 2 seconds flat. I can't be off in a 'studio' somewhere (don't get me wrong- I'd love to be) while the natives are left to their own devices. :) I need to be MOMMY 100% of the time. I have to see and hear what's going on...**oddly enough they've only gotten into my paint once...knock on wood :)
Sometimes when the 2 'little' boys go down for their naps I put a movie on for our 4 year old (yes, I do sometimes use tv as a babysitter- don't judge me) and I am able to get a good hour or two of painting in. This doesn't happen every day though. MOST of the time it's 5 minutes here and 5 minutes there. Between changing diapers, fighting with light sabers and fixing meals I find a few good minutes to pick up the brush and paint. I have learned to work fairly quickly when I do get one of these windows.
I have found that I kinda enjoy painting like this. I think I have painting A.D.D. anyway so this just fits in perfecty. When I do have hours at a time to paint I am continuously walking away from the easel and coming back again. I snack, I walk...pace is more like it, I wander. Maybe it's the short spurts of time that I'm given that have made me this way. Maybe it's impossible for me to stand and paint for longer than 5 minutes at a time because that's what I'm used to.
Whatever it is...it works for me.
God is good. :)
-Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment